Using thermal condition, vapor release, smoke generation and ignition as the four primary indicators of battery status, you can determine the stage of battery failure. This will help you identify any opportunities to safely initiate offensive tactics and prevent further incident escalation. Remember: Li-ion batteries are temperature-sensitive, so ventilation and cooling may slow or inhibit incident escalation.
- Thermal escalation: Strategic mitigation actions are appropriate
- Initial vapor release: Strategic mitigation actions are appropriate
- Intense vapor release: Utilize a defensive containment strategy
- Smoke generation: Utilize a defensive containment strategy
- Ignition: Utilize a defensive containment strategy
Cautious offensive actions are an acceptable mode of operation until you observe smoke. The presence of smoke confirms that thermal runaway has begun.